Early Return of Driving Licence

If you have been disqualified from driving for at least three years you can ask to end your ban early. You will need to apply to the magistrates court that banned you. They will arrange for a hearing to take place and you will normally have to give evidence in court.

If you need a solicitor to represent you at court for an early return of your driving licence then I can help.

When Can I Apply for My Ban to End Early?

The date to apply depends on how long you were disqualified for. You can apply for the ban to end after:

  • 2 years if the disqualification was for less than 4 years
  • Half of the ban of the disqualification was between 4 and 10 years
  • 5 years if the ban was for more than 10 years

Disqualifications for less than 2 years cannot be changed.

If you have been ordered to do an extended retest then you can not apply.

If you apply but you are not successful then you can apply again after 3 months.

What Do I Need to Show to Get my Licence Back Early?

Magistrates or District Judges will look at these things when they make their decision:

  • Your character
  • Your conduct since you were disqualified
  • The nature of the offence that you were disqualified for
  • Any other circumstances of the case

What Will a Solicitor Do For My Case?

Every case is different. Not everything on the list will happen in every case. There will be some extra things that will come up too.

  • Helping you to collect the right evidence to support your case
  • Giving you detailed advice about the whole case
  • Advising you about getting expert or medical evidence
  • Advising you about character references
  • Helping you negotiate your way through the court process
  • Explaining about giving evidence in court
  • Representing you on the day at court
  • Putting forward arguments why you should have your licence back

No Substitute for Experience

I specialise in representing drivers accused of motoring offences. I have many years of experience representing clients in the Magistrates’ Court and the Crown Court. All solicitors are authorised to appear in the Magistrates’ Court but I have two extra qualifications:

  • Member of the Law Society Criminal Litigation Accreditation Scheme – an award that is only given to solicitors who have reached a required standard and level of experience in the Magistrates’ Court.
  • Higher Rights of Audience – means that I am authorised to appear in the Crown Court. Most solicitors are not allowed to appear in Crown Court trials. Traditionally that is a job that only barristers are allowed to do.

Unsure If You Need Legal Representation When Applying for Early Return of Your Driving Licence?

Before you decide if you need a solicitor, call me or request a call back under no obligation.


A Land Rover approaches Ribblehead Viaduct by John Lucas / CC-BY