Magistrates’ Court Cases

If you have been disqualified from driving for at least three years you can ask to end your ban early ...
Read More
Most driving convictions mean that you will be given penalty points or a driving ban. For example all drivers who ...
Read More
If you get 12 penalty points (or more) in 3 years then you can expect a court appearance and a ...
Read More
If you are going to plead guilty to a driving offence in the Magistrates' Court you need to know what ...
Read More
If you want to challenge a Magistrates' Court case then you will normally plead 'not guilty'. The case will go ...
Read More

If you have a court date for driving offence there a several things you need to think about. How strong is the evidence? Should you plead guilty or not guilty? How should your case presented to the magistrates or the judge. What does the law say about your case? What will the sentence be if you are convicted. An experienced solicitor will help you though the process and be there with you at court on the day.

If you need a solicitor to represent you at court for driving case then I can help. Even if you are going to plead guilty I can advise you about mitigation and keeping the penalty to a minimum.

What Will a Solicitor Do for Me in a Court Case

Every case is different. Not everything on the list will happen in every case. There will be some extra things that will come up too.

  • Reviewing the evidence from the police or the prosecutor
  • Helping you to collect the right evidence to support your case
  • Giving you detailed advice about the whole case
  • Advising you about getting expert evidence
  • Advising you about pleading guilty or not guilty
  • Advising you about character references
  • Helping you negotiate your way through the court process
  • Explaining about giving evidence in court
  • Representing you at court in a trial
  • Putting forward arguments why you should be found not guilty
  • Representing you at court in a guilty plea
  • Persuading the magistrates or the judge to impose the lowest penalty possible

No Substitute for Experience

I specialise in representing drivers accused of motoring offences. I have many years of experience representing clients in the Magistrates’ Court and the Crown Court. All solicitors are authorised to appear in the Magistrates’ Court but I have two extra qualifications:

  • Member of the Law Society Criminal Litigation Accreditation Scheme – an award that is only given to solicitors who have reached a required standard and level of experience in the Magistrates’ Court.
  • Higher Rights of Audience – means that I am authorised to appear in the Crown Court. Most solicitors are not allowed to appear in Crown Court trials. Traditionally that is a job that only barristers are allowed to do.

How about a Barrister?

I try to represent all of my clients personally when their case is in court. Sometimes I will work with an experienced barrister. I will usually do this when:

  • I have another court case that day – I can’t be in two places at once
  • My client requests a barrister
  • The case is particularly unusual or complex and needs a specialist in a very narrow field

Unsure If You Need Legal Representation for a Court Case?

Before you decide if you need a solicitor, call me or request a call back under no obligation.


Birmingham Magistrates’ Court by Elliott Brown made into a sketch from an original photo / CC BY