Crown Court Trials

If you want to challenge a Crown Court case then you will normally plead ‘not guilty’. The case will go to a trial before a judge and jury. They will hear the evidence against you and decide if you are guilty or not guilty. I can give you advice about trials, represent you in court or help you to choose a barrister.

Going to trial means that there are lots of things that you need to think about.

  • How strong is the evidence?
  • How should your case presented to the jury?
  • What does the law say about your case?
  • What rules about procedure and evidence need to be used?
  • Do you need call any witnesses or experts?
  • Are there any other ways of achieving your objective?
  • Who is the best advocate or barrister for the job?

All of this before the day of the trial itself. You may have to give evidence. Witnesses may need to be cross-examined. An experienced solicitor will help you though the process and can be there with you at court on the day.

If you need a solicitor to represent you for a Crown Court trial then I can help. I specialise in dealing with trials and guilty pleas in the Crown Court.

What Will a Solicitor Do for Me in a Crown Court Trial?

Every case is different. Not everything on the list will happen in every case. There will be some extra things that will come up too.

  • Reviewing the evidence from the police or the prosecutor
  • Advising you about the right plea
  • Advising you whether to have a Crown Court or a Magistrates’ Court trial
  • Helping you to collect the right evidence to support your case
  • Giving you detailed advice about the whole case
  • Advising you about getting expert evidence
  • Helping you negotiate your way through the court process
  • Explaining about giving evidence in court
  • Representing you at court in a trial or helping you choose a barrister
  • Putting forward arguments why you should be found not guilty
  • Testing the prosecution evidence at the trial
  • Cross examining witnesses

No Substitute for Experience

I specialise in representing drivers accused of motoring offences. I have many years of experience representing clients in the Magistrates’ Court and the Crown Court. All solicitors are authorised to appear in the Magistrates’ Court but I have two extra qualifications:

  • Member of the Law Society Criminal Litigation Accreditation Scheme – an award that is only given to solicitors who have reached a required standard and level of experience in the Magistrates’ Court.
  • Higher Rights of Audience – means that I am authorised to appear in the Crown Court. Most solicitors are not allowed to appear in Crown Court trials. Traditionally that is a job that only barristers are allowed to do.

How about a Barrister?

I am qualified to represent my clients in the Crown Court. I try to represent as many of my clients personally when their case is in court. Sometimes I will work with an experienced barrister. I will usually do this when:

  • I have another court case that day – I can’t be in two places at once
  • My client requests a barrister
  • The case is particularly unusual or complex and needs a specialist in a very narrow field

Unsure If You Need Legal Representation for a Crown Court Trial?

Before you decide if you need a solicitor, call me or request a call back under no obligation.


Photo Clifton Suspension Bridge at Sunrise by Harshil Shah