Appeals Against Sentence

When you want to challenge the sentence from a Magistrates’ Court you need to appeal to the Crown Court. You may want to appeal if: the sentence was too severe; you were disqualified from driving for too long or you should not have been banned at all. A Crown Court Judge and two magistrates will hear your case again.

If you need a solicitor to represent you for an appeal against sentence to the Crown Court then I can help. I specialise in dealing with trials guilty pleas and appeal cases in the Crown Court. I can also help If you want to stay with your current solicitor but you need a second opinion.

How I Deal with an Appeal to the Crown Court Against Sentence

Every case is different. Not everything on the list will happen in every case. There will be some extra things that will come up too.

  • Reviewing the evidence from the police or the prosecutor
  • Advising you about the merits of your appeal
  • Helping you to collect the right evidence to support your case
  • Giving you detailed advice about the whole case
  • Advising you about character references
  • Helping you negotiate your way through the court process
  • Persuading the the judge and magistrates to impose the lowest penalty possible
  • Representing you at the appeal hearing

The Appeal

A Crown Court judge and two magistrates will hear from the prosecutor and from your lawyer. They can increase and decrease the sentence. If you win the appeal then your sentence will be reduced. If you lose then either the sentence will be increased or not changed at all. You may be awarded some of your costs back if you win, Losing an appeal can mean you having to pay some extra prosecution costs.

No Substitute for Experience

I specialise in representing drivers accused of motoring offences. I have many years of experience representing clients in the Magistrates’ Court and the Crown Court. All solicitors are authorised to appear in the Magistrates’ Court but I have two extra qualifications:

  • Member of the Law Society Criminal Litigation Accreditation Scheme – an award that is only given to solicitors who have reached a required standard and level of experience in the Magistrates’ Court.
  • Higher Rights of Audience – means that I am authorised to appear in the Crown Court. Most solicitors are not allowed to appear in Crown Court trials. Traditionally that is a job that only barristers are allowed to do.

How about a Barrister?

I am qualified to represent my clients in the Crown Court. I try to represent as many of my clients personally when their case is in court. Sometimes I will work with an experienced barrister. I will usually do this when:

  • I have another court case that day – I can’t be in two places at once
  • My client prefers to have a barrister
  • The case is particularly unusual or complex and needs a specialist in a very narrow field

Unsure If You Need Legal Representation for an Appeal to the Crown Court Against Sentence?

Before you decide if you need a solicitor, call me or request a call back under no obligation.


Traffic and Rain by Jonathan Kos-Read