Appeal Against Conviction

Not happy with being found guilty in the Magistrates’ Court. You might be able to appeal to the Crown Court against your conviction. A judge and two magistrates will hear your case again. They will decide if the conviction was correct. They can also review your sentence.

If you need a solicitor to represent you for an appeal against conviction to the Crown Court then I can help. I specialise in dealing with trials guilty pleas and appeal cases in the Crown Court. I can also help If you want to stay with your current solicitor but you need a second opinion.

How I Deal with an Appeal Against Conviction

Every case is different. Not everything on the list will happen in every case. There will be some extra things that will come up too.

  • Preparing the notice of appeal
  • Preparing the case for court
  • Reviewing the evidence from the police or the prosecutor
  • Helping you to collect the right evidence to support your case
  • Giving you detailed advice about the whole case
  • Advising you about getting expert evidence
  • Advising you about the strength of your appeal case
  • Helping you negotiate your way through the court process
  • Explaining about giving evidence in court
  • Representing you in court at the appeal hearing
  • Putting forward arguments why you should be found not guilty

No Substitute for Experience

I specialise in representing drivers accused of motoring offences. I have many years of experience representing clients in the Magistrates’ Court and the Crown Court. All solicitors are authorised to appear in the Magistrates’ Court but I have two extra qualifications:

  • Member of the Law Society Criminal Litigation Accreditation Scheme – an award that is only given to solicitors who have reached a required standard and level of experience in the Magistrates’ Court.
  • Higher Rights of Audience – means that I am authorised to appear in the Crown Court. Most solicitors are not allowed to appear in Crown Court trials. Traditionally that is a job that only barristers are allowed to do.

How About a Barrister?

I am qualified to represent my clients in the Crown Court. I try to represent as many of my clients personally when their case is in court. Sometimes I will work with an experienced barrister. I will usually do this when:

  • I have another court case that day – I can’t be in two places at once
  • My client prefers to have a barrister
  • The case is particularly unusual or complex and needs a specialist in a very narrow field

Unsure If You Need Legal Representation for an Appeal Against Conviction in the Crown Court?

Before you decide if you need a solicitor, call me or request a call back under no obligation.


Traffic and Rain by Jonathan Kos-Read