Speeding is the most common of all driving offences. For most people caught by the police speeding results in a fixed penalty for 3 points and a fine. If the police have accused you of speeding and you want to challenge the case against you, I may be able to help. Are you worried about a driving ban for speeding? I can help with that too.

Speeding - M25 at Night
M25 at Night by Bob McCaffery

Things I Look Out For in a Speeding Case

  • Errors in the notice of intended prosecution (NIP)
  • Errors in the requirement to provide driver details (s.172 notice)
  • Is there any evidence that the accused was driving?
  • Can the prosecution prove what the speed limit was?
  • Can the prosecution prove the driver’s speed?
  • Lack of calibration of the speed detection device
  • Errors in the use of the speed detection device
  • Errors in procedure by the police
  • Errors in procedure by the prosecution

Also Known As

  • Driving with excess speed
  • Exceeding the speed limit

Do Not Confuse With

Penalties for Speeding

The maximum sentence is:

  • £1,000 fine on a normal road
  • £2,500.00 on a motorway
  • 3-6 penalty points
  • Disqualification from driving

The police can impose a fixed penalty for speeding of 3 penalty points and £100.00.

The police can offer a driver education course for speeding.

Sentencing Guidelines

When a magistrates’ court sentences for excess speed they use these guidelines.

Speed Limit (mph) Recorded speed (mph)
20 21-30 31-40 41-and above
30 31-40 41-50 51-and above
40 41-55 56-65 66-and above
50 51-65 66-75 76-and above
60 61-80 81-90 91-and above
70 71-90 91-100 101-and above
Sentencing Range Band A fine Band B fine Band C fine
Points/Disqualificaton 3 points Disqualify 7-28 days OR 4-6 points Disqualify 7-56 days OR 6 points

Visit the sentencing guidelines online for more information.

Crown Court or Magistrates’ Court?

Speeding trials and guilty pleas are always in the Magistrates’ Court. Appeals are in the Crown Court.

Find Out More

Unsure If You Need Legal Representation for Speeding?

Before you decide if you need a solicitor, call me or send a message under no obligation.