Have you been accused of causing death by dangerous driving? Call 0330 111 6074 for free initial advice and help from a specialist motoring offence solicitor.
Causing death by dangerous driving is the most serious of all driving offences with a maximum prison sentence of 14 years. Cases have to be dealt with in the Crown Court.
If the police have accused you of causing death by dangerous driving and you want to challenge the case against you, I may be able to help. I have experience working in the Crown Court and experience representing drivers charged with causing death by dangerous driving. If you are thinking of pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving and you want advice, I can help with that too.
Do Not Confuse With
- Careless driving
- Inconsiderate driving
- Driving without due care and attention
- Dangerous driving
- Reckless driving
- Wanton or furious driving
Penalties For Causing Death by Dangerous Driving
The maximum sentence for dangerous driving is:
- 14 years in prison
- A minimum driving disqualification of 2 years and an extended retest
The Crown Court follow these guidelines for sentencing drivers who have been convicted after trial.
|Nature of offence||Starting point||Sentencing range|
The most serious offences encompassing driving that involved a deliberate decision to ignore (or a flagrant disregard for) the rules of the road and an apparent disregard for the great danger being caused to others
|8 years custody||7–14 years custody|
Driving that created a substantial risk of danger
|5 years custody||4–7 years custody|
Driving that created a significant risk of danger
[Where the driving is markedly less culpable than for this level, reference should be made to the starting point and range for the most serious level of causing death by careless driving]
|3 years custody||2–5 years custody|
Crown Court or Magistrates’ Court?
Causing death by dangerous driving trials and guilty pleas are always heard in the Crown Court.
Things I Look Out For in a Causing Death by Dangerous Driving Case
- Is there any evidence that the accused was driving
- Errors in procedure by the police
- Errors in procedure by the prosecution
- Can the prosecution prove that the standard of driving fell far below that of a competent driver
- If the standard of driving fell below the standard of a competent driver but no far below is it really careless driving
- Is it possible to negotiate a charge of causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving
- Did the driver actually cause the death
- Are there any breaks in the chain of causation between the driving and the death
Find out more
- Legal advice for a police interview
- Taking a case to trial in the the Crown Court
- How I can help with a guilty plea in the Crown Court
- Second opinions
- Great value fixed fees
Unsure If You Need Legal Representation for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving?
Before you decide if you need a solicitor, call me or request a call back under no obligation.CALL: 0330 111 6074