Have you been accused of causing death by careless driving? Call 0330 111 6074 for free initial advice and help from a specialist motoring offence solicitor.
Most cases of causing death by careless driving are dealt with in the Crown Court. If the driver is convicted there is serious risk of a prison sentence. The consequences are more serious if the driver was over the drink driving limit.
If the police have accused you of causing death by dangerous driving and you want to challenge the case against you, I may be able to help. If you are thinking of pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving and you want advice, I can help with that too.
Do Not Confuse With
- Careless driving
- Inconsiderate driving
- Driving without due care and attention
- Dangerous driving
- Reckless driving
- Wanton or furious driving
- Causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving
- Causing serious injury by dangerous driving
- Motor manslaughter
Penalties For Causing Death by Careless or Inconsiderate Driving
The maximum sentence for causing death by careless driving is:
- 14 years in prison
- A minimum driving disqualification of 2 years
When a Magistrates’ Court sentences someone to causing death by careless driving they use these guidelines.
|Examples of nature of activity||Starting point||Range|
|Careless or inconsiderate driving arising from momentary inattention with no aggravating factors||Medium level community order||Low level community order to high level community order|
|Other cases of careless or inconsiderate driving||Crown Court||High level community order to Crown Court|
|Careless or inconsiderate driving falling not far short of dangerous driving||Crown Court||Crown Court|
The Crown Court use different sentencing guidelines.
Read this post to find out how sentencing guidelines work.
Crown Court or Magistrates’ Court?
Causing death by dangerous driving trials and guilty pleas are dealt with in the Crown Court.
Things I Look Out For in a Causing Death by Careless or Inconsiderate Driving Case
- Is there any evidence that the accused was driving
- Errors in procedure by the police
- Errors in procedure by the prosecution
- Can the prosecution prove that the standard of driving fell below that of a competent driver
- Is it possible to negotiate a charge of causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving
- Is it possible to negotiate a charge of dangerous driving
- Did the driver actually cause the fatality or was there some other important factor
- Are there any breaks in the chain of causation between the driving and the death
- If the driver is pleading guilty is there some important mitigation that can reduce the sentence
Find Out More
- Legal advice for a police interview
- Taking a case to trial in the Magistrates’ Court or the Crown Court
- How I can help with a guilty plea in the Magistrates’ Court or the Crown Court
- Appeals to the Crown Court against conviction and sentence
- Second opinions
- Great value fixed fees
Unsure If You Need Legal Representation for Causing Death by Careless Driving?
Before you decide if you need a solicitor, call me or request a call back under no obligation.
CMPG Officer by West Midlands Police